Do you ever have mornings when you just don’t have the time or energy to make a big breakfast? Of course you do. I know I do! Which is why I wrote a cookbook called 10+ Breakfasts You Can Make in 10 Minutes or Less.
This cookbook is perfect for people like me who love breakfast but who don’t love the time it tastes to make anything labour-intensive, especially on weekday mornings, which often feel rushed and hectic.
(As a side note: it’s also FREE as can be! It’s a digital download when you sign up for my monthly e-zine.) This recipe isn’t in my Breakfast cookbook but it should be. You can easily make it it in 10 minutes or less.
If you love breakfast but it has to be easy, it has to taste good and hopefully also has to be healthy, enter my Lazy Girl’s Granola. (The “Lazy Girl” I’m referring to would be me obviously!)
This is a delicious, quick, belly-filling breakfast I could probably eat every day of the week if I let myself. This pan-toasted granola is crunchy and toasty, a bit salty, a bit sweet, packed with healthy fats and protein from the almonds, sesame seeds, coconut flakes, sunflower and pumpkin seeds. Pumpkin seeds are rich in zinc, a mineral essential for immune support, wound healing, healthy thyroid function, and healthy vision.
This is the granola I reach for when…
- I’m busy (craving granola but not interested in babysitting it for an hour while it carefully toasts in the oven) …
- It’s as hot inside as it is outside (will summer ever arrive? I’m having my doubts these days!) …
- I’m staying at a friend’s place (no fancy equipment needed, just a frying pan)…
- I need a change from my usual smoothies, chia puddings, toast and homemade but ridiculously easy jam, or my grain-free Fresh Fruit, Seed and Nut ‘Granola’ (just kidding, I never get tired of eating this one!)
This 10-minutes or less breakfast is gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free, vegan friendly, and above all, tastes delicious. To make this dairy-free, use almond milk or another non-dairy milk, yogurt or kefir. I’m serving mine with homemade Coconut Milk Kefir in these pictures.
If you’re gluten-free, be sure to buy certified gluten-free oats since oats often become contaminated in the field, i.e. although they don’t contain gluten themselves, most of the rolled oats in grocery stores or bulk food stores are not certified gluten-free unless indicated. Here’s the recipe:
Lazy Girl’s Granola
- 2 Tbsp almonds chopped
- 2 Tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 2 Tbsp sesame seeds
- 2 Tbsp sunflower seeds
- 2 Tbsp shredded unsweetened coconut
- ¼ cup rolled oats not quick oats
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp real vanilla extract
- Freshly grated nutmeg to taste or ½ tsp ground cinnamon or other spice of choice
- 1 Tbsp real maple syrup or other liquid sweetener
- Optional: ½ cup almond milk or more to taste yogurt or milk kefir
Add the nuts, seeds, coconut and rolled oats to a medium saucepan and toast over low-medium heat for 5-7 minutes or until just golden. Stir frequently because this can burn in no time! Once I see a moderate amount of colour, I take it off the heat – it will continue to cook a bit more.
Once the granola is toasted, take the pan off the heat. Add the salt, vanilla extract, nutmeg (or other spice) and maple syrup and quickly stir everything together.
Pour into a bowl and serve with almond milk, yogurt or kefir if desired.
Give it a try and let me know if you love it as much as I do!
Life is a plate… Eat up!
P.S. What’s your favourite fast, healthy breakfast that seems to take no time at all to make?